> One More Stamp: 10 Books to Diversify Your Reading

Saturday, November 5, 2016

10 Books to Diversify Your Reading

This is so overdue! I spoke awhile ago about consciously changing my reading habits to ensure that it was more diverse.  At the end of that post I promised a reading list and then, you know, life happens. 

Here are some #ownvoices #weneeddiversebooks that I have enjoyed.  There are a ton of others.  I am concentrating on YA realistic fiction that has been fairly recently published in this list just be clear.  There is a whole diverse fantasy world that I NEED to get into to.

All American Boys
By Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely
Series: no
Release date: September 29, 2015

This was one of the most powerful books that I have read in the last year.  If a book could personify zeitgeist this book has managed it.  This book is both well written and important as hell. I kind of want to buy a thousand copies and leave them around everywhere for people.


If I Ever Get Out of Here
By Eric Gansworth
Series: no
Release date: July 30, 2013

This is the story of a Native American boy living on a reservation near Buffalo (ah, home sweet home) during the winter of 1977.  It is a very moving story about friendship and identity. Excellent use of music as well.


The Spider King's Daughter
by Chidbundu Onuzo
Series: no
Release date: March 15th, 2012

Could someone please read this book so that I have someone to talk to about it?  Abike, one of the main characters, is manipulative and cold as hell and I am 100% on her side. I also love the cover.


Listen, Slowly
By Thanhhà Lại
Series: no
Release date: February 17, 2015

In this book a twelve year old girl discovers that the two worlds that she has been living in don't have to be separate and that she can be fully herself in both.



What Can't Wait
 By Ashley Hope Pérez
Series: no
Release date: March 28th 2011


My love for this book is well documented.  Marisa's story is painful, real, and full of hope. See my review here.



If I was Your Girl
By Meredith Russo
Series: no
Release date: May 3rd 2016

This book isn't perfect.  It doesn't need to be.  It asks the question: What do you do when the world doesn't seem to want you to exist? You be who you are, Amanda! *sob



A Time to Dance
By Padma Venkatraman
Series: no
Release date: May 1, 2014

A novel is verse, which isn't usually my thing, but this book managed to overcome that.  I love how it explores the idea of figuring out who you are when the thing that you have defined yourself with disappears.


Same Sun Here
By Neela Vaswani and Silas House 
Series: no
Release date: February 14th 2012

This is one of my favorite MG reads ever. It touches on family, friendship, activism, and the things that unite us.


Into White
by Randi Pink
Series: no
Release date: September 13th 2016

I am putting this book on the list because the premise is so brilliant.  I had very mixed feelings about it but I think it is a starting point for a kind of book that is needed. See my full review here.



To All the Boys I've Love Before
By Jenny Han
Goodreads Amazon
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1
Release date: April 15th 2014


Because  fluffy happiness and butterflies. 



As I said before there are a TON of people more qualified to speak on this subject than me.  But this is an issue that we all need to see and do whatever small part we can to address.  We are all missing out on some amazing books because they aren't being published.  

I would like to do some internetting and see if I can come up with a list of links to specific articles/posts of all those people that I mentioned that know more about this than I do.

What book would you add to this list? 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I obviously really need to diversify my reading as I've only read or even heard of one of these books and that's To All The Boys I've Loved Before, which everyone knows. I think I may have to investigate a few of these because the covers alone have me intrigued, like A Time To Dance. And, you can never have too many new books in your life, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you never can have too many books! I am so glad that you found this list useful! I really liked A Time to Dance. Novels in verse go so fast so you can read it in a couple hours but the story and the language was really beautiful.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!