> One More Stamp: What's in a Name?: Top Ten Character Names I Would Give a Child *

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

What's in a Name?: Top Ten Character Names I Would Give a Child *

Top Ten Tuesday is a brilliant meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.

Or maybe a puppy if no one lets me name their child.

I don't don't have children.  I am still trying to figure out if that is something that I want from life.  I also don't have pets.  First, because I am allergic to all of nature itself (brain: I don't even care puppies!) Second, because my husband is practical and has pointed out to me that it makes travelling about 110% more difficult.  I am also a teacher.  That means that there are a LOT of names that are loaded with meaning for me.  It narrows things down.  

Nina
Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
I liked Nina more and more as the books went on and I really like her name.

Goodreads | Amazon                          Goodreads | Amazon

Kestrel
Daughters of Darkness by L.J. Smith
This is actually a throwback to when I was in high school and obsessed with these books.  The character of Kestrel wasn't really nice but I loved her name.  I spent years mispronouncing it in my head as I have never had the chance to say it out loud.  Nature documentaries have set me straight since then.  Actually, maybe I should read these books again.  #nostalgia 

Goodreads | Amazon

Simon
Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
I am putting this book in every TTT list until the whole universe has read it.  Sorrynotsorry.

Goodreads | Amazon



Jack/August
Wonder by 
I loved both of these characters and their names.

Goodreads | Amazon





Anne
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Because reasons...

Goodreads | Amazon



Jace
My Life Next Door by  
I would name a kid after the nicest of all nice guys.

Goodreads | Amazon


Juliet/Anita
Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story by William Shakespeare et al
I actually had a copt of both the plays in the same book and so to me they are forever entwined.

Goodreads | Amazon



Beth
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I know that I am a weirdo but I always loved Beth. I was susceptible to tragic MarySues as a child. Also, I never liked Jo's name.  Don't throw things at me! *ducks
 
Goodreads | Amazon



Here she is being bouncy.  Source

Confession time here's what I got: I have actually SERIOUSLY been thinking about naming my imaginary maybe baby Lilia after Lilia Podkopayeva who won the women all around gymnastics medal in 1996.  Since 1996.  And I still like the name!  God, that is embarrassing.

This list was pretty surprising because I found that there was a difference between really liking a character and being willing to name a child/puppy after it. Also, if the name is too specific and associated with a certain book *cough Katniss *cough then that would also stop me. How about you guys?  Do you have characters that you love that you could never use as a name for a child?

*Disclaimer: apparently it is good form to talk over the naming of a child with one's partner.  Therefore if I am ever in the position of naming a child I might have to get input from my husband. 


10 comments:

  1. Simon is a wonderful name! I like the name Simon for a pet. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has the added benefit of never being one of my students names! I like it for a pet too. It makes me think of a particularly loyal dog.

      Delete
  2. Anita and Kestrel are such beautiful names. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think that the character of Anita would be awesome to name a kid after. She was so strong and true to herself.

      Delete
  3. I adore Simon! It's such a nice name. Kestrel is lovely too. Fabulous list!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kestrel was on my list too, but from a different book! Have a great week!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we managed to both like the same super random name. I completely forgot that that is the characters name from the Winner's trilogy. I associate it so strongly with Daughters of Darkness and my high school self!

      Delete
  5. Nina is a really pretty name. I like that one. I tend to go for the names that are "old-fashioned" or those that I simply don't see as often. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting, Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kestrel and Juliet are so pretty!
    I love Beth, but I would have a hard time using her name, with her story being a sad one.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!