> One More Stamp: Book Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Friday, September 23, 2016

Book Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Goodreads

The Dream Thieves 
by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Release date: 
Rating: So so so good


There is so much out there on this book that I almost feel as if this review isn’t necessary.  But I don’t even care.  This book… When you really get down to it this book is not fast paced.  However it feels as if the plot is zipping along at dangerous speeds.  Seriously.  I sort of felt like a driver from The Fast and the Furious.

This is the simple continuing story of five friends (Noah counts!) in a town in Virginia who are searching for a lost Welsh King on the Ley Line.  Enter the mysterious Grey Man who has his own agenda and a house full of psychics. And a lot of dreaming.  It sounds like it would be something of a mess but it is amazing.

Let’s start with Ronan.  Because really, Ronan.  I love him. Really.  I want to take him home with me like a puppy and feed him.  I want to smack him as well because he is more than a little bit of a jerk.  Maybe get him some counseling... I also want to hide from him because he is pretty scary and I think he might burn my house down if I tried any of the above.
Aside: Kavinsky, you asshole.

Adam is a puzzle.  I think that I like him.  I want to like him.   I know that I ship him (with who is a spoiler).  But when I look back at what he did in this book and how he reacted to things I think that it is possible that I like him less that I think than I do.  I have this sense of expectation with Adam.  As if I want him to be a slightly different character than he is.  I suspect that this might be purposeful.  Adam defines himself by the expectations good or bad of the people around him.  His struggles were hard to watch because they were so often self inflicted.  “Sometimes Ronan thought Adam was so used to the right way being painful that he doubted any path that didn’t come with agony.” 

I should have been connecting with Blue more in this book.   I think that has something to do with the smaller role that she plays here than in The Raven Boys. She has all of the elements of a character that I should love.  Is there a coldness in her character that I don’t like?  She has a massive chip on her shoulder and it bugs me more than Adam’s.  Why is that?  I think it might have to do with the fact that she articulates her bubbling anger and Adam internalizes his.  And punches things.  It isn’t that I hate Blue.  I think that she is essential, smart, and interesting. Her motif is potential and that is how I see her.  I am not clicking with her at this moment but I think that when I get to know her better I will. Much like she is told in the book I sense a lot of potential in her character. I love her inner dialogue and the fact that she struggles with liking and loving the boys due to their tendency towards being pompous idiots occasionally.  “Boys like him didn't die; they got bronzed and installed outside public libraries.” Your friends don't have to be perfect for you to love them.

What can I say about Gansey other than that I love him and am very very worried about him and that if he and Blue don’t end up together I will do so much pouting.  SO. MUCH.  “I wish you could be kissed, Jane,' he said. 'Because I would beg just one off you. Under all this.' He flailed an arm toward the stars.” 

With a Cast this large usually there are characters that are sort of throw away or completely flat.  But everyone in this story is vital.  Even walk on character make me think that there is a whole different novel that is happening at the same time about about what is going on with them. It reminds me of this conversation about a Harry Potter movie.

Maggie Stiefvater's writing is beautiful.  She has a way of writing small moments and gestures that make them seem significant.  They way Ronan turns his head or the way that Blue pauses to think about her relationship with the boys.  I am immediately reading the next books.

From Goodreads:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!